Wednesday, June 11, 2008

This week so far

Been an interesting week. My garden seems to be doing well with the exception of some of the tomatoes. My silvery fir tree and brandywine tomatoes must of gotten transplant shock or something (which is odd since I hardened them off and it's been warm lately), but my black plum and siberian tomatoes are doing okay from the looks of things (though a bit small as I got the seed ordered rather late this year, this is the first time I've tried black plums). I had some extra space though so I direct seeded some more tomato seeds in case the transplants don't recover. We'll see what happens, silvery fir tree tomatoes should produce even if direct seeded here, but the brandywines are iffy...

The onions and potatoes look great though. The peas have been rather slow this year, but they're coming along. It's a little early to tell how the beans will do, but my beans look to be off to a good start. Just to try it, I planted peanuts. I don't have high hopes of getting anything from them, but if I do get anything, that'll be nice. The cucumbers, corn and squash are poking out. The watermelon plants seem to be doing okay, but I fear it getting cool here just as they're nearing harvest time. The sugar baby should do okay, but moon & stars is something I have no real experience with until now, I've just always wanted to grow it because it's so unusual.

Don't have anything to add on the guns issue at the moment. Interestingly though as an aside, the SCOTUS will be issuing some more decisions tomorrow rather than sticking with the usual Monday only schedule, the suspense over the Heller case is getting to me, the future freedom of this country is in the hands of those 9 justices...

No comments: